WINTERIZING YOUR FOUNTAIN
WINTERIZE YOUR OUTDOOR FOUNTAIN
Creative Living is a proud supplier of outdoor fountains constructed of a high-density, cast stone mix that is strong and durable. We recommend that our clients perform regular maintenance throughout the year but winterization is especially crucial. It will help your fountain withstand snow, wind and freeze/thaw cycles.
- The most important step in winterization is draining the fountain. Prior to freezing temperatures, empty all water either by directing the pump to the exterior of the basin or by bailing the water out with a scoop and absorbing the remainder with a large sponge.
- Drain the hoses and other fountain components such as finials so that rain and melted snow cannot accumulate in the basin(s) of the fountain. Remove debris from around the pump including leaves, dirt and algae and dry completely. Ideally, remove the pump and store inside. If removal is difficult, wrap the pump with insulating material such as foam or a thick towel and secure with tape.
- If possible, raise the base of the fountain slightly so it does not freeze and stick to the ground below.
- Cover or wrap the fountain in an appropriately sized weather-proof cover to prevent moisture from accumulating in the basin. Creative Living sells fountain covers by Campania. Made of breathable Tyvek, the cover allows trapped moisture to escape but neither rain nor dust can get in. The locking drawstring will pull the cover securely around the bottom of the fountain. Use of an authentic Campania cover – versus a tarp – ensures the one year product warranty.
- Check the fountain periodically to confirm that the cover is secure and water is not accumulating in any part.